Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 18


These are drawings based on quotes from J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye. I made them by the Duck Pond in the Southwest part of the park.


I'm still by the Duck Pond. This is a quote from John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire.


And then I headed north, to the Turtle Pond in the middle of the park. This is a drawing based on a quote from Marueen  Howard, The Rags of Time. 

This belongs to one of my favorite quotes:
 
"I trained my binoculars on the foot soldiers above. (...) the tourists seemed puzzled or plain embarrassed by their bird's-eye view of us horsing around. What had they seen? A private moment, always lovers in the Park, though not often caught in an act of observation."


I moved on to West 86th Street's entrance to the park, where I created two drawings based on quotes from Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. 

I really love both quotes. Could be related to my fascination with archeology and mapping:

"Every time the beeps would get close together, I'd tell Grandma to shine the flashlight on the spot. Then I'd put on my gloves, take the hand shovel from my kit, and dig extremely gently."

"When I saw something, I used a paintbrush to get rid of the dirt, just like a real archeologist. (...) I put all the evidence in a bag and marked on a map where I found it." 


I ended the day up there, by the W 86th entrance. I ended with quotes from Claire Messus, The Emperor's Children. 

Both are great quotes, but I especially like the middle one:

"It's the perfect place for dad to spy on you from his study, you know. She squinted into the trees, pointed at the building looming over them from across the street."

No comments:

Post a Comment